Saturday, December 14, 2013

Theater 101: How NOT to behave.




Last night I attended a performance of Handel's "Messiah" at NY's Carnegie Hall.  A dear friend was in the production offered by the Cecilia Society of New York. It was a wonderful performance of a holiday classic, but it came at a cost. 


Handel was found,
Handel and his "Messiah"
And that cost was the completely out of line behavior of a group of teenagers who had probably never attended a live performance before.

Now, as an educator, I firmly believe that we need to expose all children to the joy of live performances, and since I spent the sum total  of my career in New York City, I have taken my share of students to both on and off Broadway productions, and even to Stratford, CT for an unforgettable journey to see Hamlet on its stage...that is a whole other story.

I would  always preface my trip with a series of lessons on what we would see; how they would be expected to dress, and what my expectations for what their behavior would be.  Going on any class trip was always a reward for good behavior, and I have been known to call a parent to ask that they pick up a child whose behavior is not up to snuff.
New York City Tour
Carnegie Hall interior


Any student at any socio-economic level can learn what the expectations for behavior are, and learn before hand what is and is not acceptable "theater" protocol.  But the adults in charge must be willing to address this issue PRIOR to the trip.

Just in case you wonder what is unacceptable behavior, let me list the ones I saw last evening that did not cut the mustard:

  • Surfing the internet on your I-pad or I-phone is not a good idea.  This is especially true if you do not turn off the sound.
  • Receiving incoming calls is another bad idea, especially if the one calling you is the one sitting behind you.
  • Talking loudly to be heard over the singers and cracking your gum in rhythm to the music may have seemed like a good idea, but it really isn't.
  • Pointing to the ceiling and loudly counting the number of light bulbs may keep you temporarily busy, but it is distracting to others.
  • Stretching out your legs in the aisle whilst snuggling into a fetal sleeping position and napping through the first section does not endear you to the others trying to listen over your gentle snoring.
  • Covering your head with your coat and playing "peek-a-boo" with your neighbor might have been cute when you were two, but at  fifteen it gets old...fast.
I do, however, commend the adults who accompanied this motley crew.  Although one could easily observe their evident unease with the behaviors of their young charges; the adults quickly seized the moment and led the group up the stairs and out the doors as soon as the intermission lights went on, thus giving the rest of us the ability to enjoy the remainder of the concert in peace. 

 I only hope the group will be tactfully debriefed on Monday regarding their behavior and perhaps the educators can make this behavioral debacle a true learning experience.  I wish them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment