Friday, November 8, 2013

Exploring the neighborhood

 




Today I spent some time tooling about the neighborhood and trying some new stuff.  I had to get my car inspected.  It had actually expired in October, but since I never really look at the windshield of my car, I did not realize it needed to be inspected until the guy in the gas station in Bay Ridge pointed it out.

"Lady, you'd better get this taken care of, or you'll get a ticket." I knew he was right because in years past I had often gotten that ticket for an unregistered or uninspected vehicle. My late husband always took care of the registration/inspection cycle and of the need for an oil change.  Oh, I guess I should tell you that my new car did let me know I needed to have the oil changed, and I also got that done today.


Map of Business
Bay Street Auto
Anyway, this gave me  the chance to find a new mechanic and try out the lunch menu at Bay Street Luncheonette and purchase some pastry at Rispoli's Shop in Rosebank.

My first stop was the Bay  Street Auto Center where a nice young man helped me get my car inspected.  One usually has to make an appointment, but I mentioned that one of his customers, a church member, had recommend I bring my car to him, and he took me right away.  He also changed my oil and gave me a 10% discount because I promised to like him on Facebook., which I did.


1952 Chevrolet Deluxe Green For Sale In Felton Delaware For 5 000
1952Chevy
 He also has a collection of vintage cars for sale, and I spied a 1952 green four -door Chevy that was the model my father owned.  I got to open the doors and take a good look inside marveling at the copious leg room in the back seat.  I asked him about it, and he told me it was for sale at around $4,200.  But if I was really interested, he would do a deal....Hummm.



A flash into the past...
Inside the Bay Street Luncheonette
After paying my bill and taking another look at the Chevy, I was off to the Bay Street Luncheonette and Soda Shop. I had heard nothing but good things about this local spot.  It  serves breakfast all day and lunch.  Prices are reasonable and the food is very good.  The interior is an homage to the owner's teen years on Staten Island in the 70's, and she has her "I Love George" lunchbox on the shelf while she plays a constant loop of Beatle music.  She was talking with a group of high school friends who were in town for the Curtis High School Reunion later in the weekend, and was happily sharing  her yearbook photos.  The waitress was helpful and the service impeccable.

I rounded off my  afternoon  sojourn at Rispoli's Pastry Shop in Rosebank.  I bought a small, individual piece of carrot cake(surprise, surprise) and a small Neapolitan style pizza for dinner.  I have not tried either as of yet, so I can make no judgment call at is time.  Got home in time to watch General Hospital...life is good.
Rispoli Pastry Shop - Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment