Saturday, November 23, 2013

Musical Theater

Mary Martin and the Sound of Music
My parents owned the original Broadway cast albums of "My Fair Lady", "Camelot", "Wildcat", "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", "Carousel", and the ever popular, at least among their children, "The Sound of Music" ( Yes, the hills were alive at Chez Redden, ask my brother, Jack ) among others.  They loved to go to the "hottest musical" on their anniversary and, as we grew older, and could afford it, we would buy them tickets so they could see the original casts whenever possible. Understand that good orchestra seats sold for about $20 at that time, not like today when a full price orchestra seat to a mediocre musical costs in excess of $100.

I was bitten by the Broadway Musical bug rather early.  I inherited it from my parents. Jack and Flo Redden bought a stereo in the 1960's and their collection of albums were heavy on Montevani, Mitch Miller, Glen Miller and Broadway Musicals, and not necessarily in that order.


And I have seen some great musical theater in my day: the original production of "42nd Street" with Jerry Orbach; "Hello Dolly" three times with Betty Grable, Pearl Baily and the wonderful Carol Channing; " Ragtime" with Audra Mac Donald and Brian Stokes Mitchel; "Showboat" with Elaine Stritch; "La Cage aux Folles"; "Shenandoah"; "The Producers"; "Wicked"; "Kiss Me Kate", and "Company".

But I have seen my lot of losers: "The Civil War", "Jekyll and Hyde", "The Scarlet Pimpernel", "Pricilla, Queen of the Desert"; they just did not make the grade.  But the all time worst musical was the one I saw on Thursday: "Spiderman, Turn off the Dark". 
Cast members Reeve Carney and Rebecca Faulkenberry attend curtain call for 'Spider-Man Turn Off The Dark' at Foxwoods Theatre on June 16, 2013 in New York City.
Spiderman on Broadway

This disaster has been running for three...count 'em..THREE years!  It has survived on tour groups, discounted tickets, and the USO which sells severely discounted tickets to service men and women on leave.  (Shame on them)

 
Where do I begin? The aerial stunts were amazing!  The rest was horrible. Bono wrote the music and some lyrics, and it sounds like his work.  Just work he dialed in...nothing great.  One nice song: "If the World Should End".

But the scene that included Nazi-esque,  hot-pant wearing, goose-stepping, break dancers was the worst thing I have seen on Broadway.  I was really glad to go home. 

So folks...do not go.

No comments:

Post a Comment