Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Mentally Packing





On Sunday I  will be flying to Amsterdam to meet up with some friends and relatives on a journey down the Rhine to visit the Christmas Markets along that river in German, France and Switzerland. That means this week I have been mentally packing and unpacking my luggage.  A process that consumes me the two weeks before I go anywhere...on business for a few days in Baltimore, on a relaxing ocean cruise sailing to Bermuda from New York, planning two weeks in England and a trans-Atlantic float back to America, river cruising through Central Europe...all of these quests come with their own packing challenges and concerns.


I do like my ocean cruising, but there are two types of ocean
Heidelberg Christmas Market
Heidelberg Christmas Market

 cruising I do, and packing for each is different.

Cruising to view new sites, such as to Alaska, or the Western Mediterranean or the Panama Canal means one needs to  expect to do a fair amount of in-port travel.  Taking the White Pass-Yukon train in Skagway, visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy, climbing Dunne's Falls in Jamaica: these are all wonderful
experiences that  you need to get off the ship and experience for yourself, and, by the way, the gelato in Pisa is exceptional.  You need to keep in mind the time of year you are travelling and the weather.  I did not say "climate".  I know that Seattle and Vancouver share a marine climate, but I need to watch the daily weather reports to see the trends for the upcoming time when I will be there. I like "Weather Underground", and I begin checking it daily two weeks prior to my departure.

White Pass & Yukon rr Train (I Was on) by TravelPod Member
White Pass Yukon Train, Alaska
"Relaxing" cruises on the other hand, call for a different kind of planning.  You will still need to check on the weather, but if the reason for the cruise is rest and not sightseeing, a more laid back approach is called for.  Think about taking an on-board "spa day" if you don't intend to jump off the ship at Port Canaveral with the rest of your shipmates, and arrange for that massage or book some time at the quiet indoor pool.  The prices drop and it is certainly more quiet on board. Also, a repositioning cruise is often a good buy and longer sea time makes for  more relaxed landing.
But be warned, these cruises fill up fast.


G32671T.ashx
MS Concerto
The trip I am "prep packing" for is a combination land and water trip, so packing will be tricky. Two full days in Amsterdam, and then eleven on the ship and another four in Munich/Nuremburg. The weather will be in the high 30's and 40's  with some precipitation.  So, I am taking a longish winter jacket,  gloves, two scarves and a warm hat...and a rain hat;  I dislike umbrellas.  I will have my Uggs, walking shoes and a pair of decent looking black flats; two sweaters, five pair of slacks...one "dressy" pair, and only one dress.  I hate to over-pack.  I am hoping  for a laundry in Munich.

No comments:

Post a Comment